Chinese-Forums

How would this be expressed in 地道 chinese?

anonymoose

Below is a short passage which I would appreciate having a translation of from a native speaker. I cannot think of a way to express this in natural Chinese. (I don't want to give my attempt yet, as I don't want to bias any responses.)

Being right and being proved right are two different things. Everybody hopes they are right in their beliefs, but there are some that one wishes are never proved to be true. For example, you may be right that your father is a dangerous driver, but one would hope that this is never proved, since it would mean him having an accident.

Thanks!

Here is my attempt -

知道自己是對的和被證明自己是對的並不一樣。人人都希望他們所相信的事是對的,可是有一些情況人們並不希望真的有證據證明自己是對的。比如説,你認爲你的父親是一個危險駕駛者,這可能沒錯,但是你不會想有證據證明你的想法,因爲那證據可能就是他發生了交通意外。

• 3 weeks later...

skylee, sorry, it was scribbled on a piece of paper which I threw away after seeing your version, but it didn't come anywhere near to expressing the intended meaning, at least not compaired with your version, which was spot on.

let me have a try:

认为它是正确的,和证明它是正确的,这是两回事。每个人都希望自己相信的事情就是这样的,但是有一些事情,你宁愿它永远得不到证实。比如,你可能认为自己的父亲的确是一位危险的司机,但是你永远不想证实这一点,因为那将意味着他发生了车祸。

• 3 weeks later...
认为它是正确的,和证明它是正确的,这是两回事。

I was wondering about "证明它是正确" - doesn't this mean "proving it's right"? The original passage uses "being proven right", which is a bit different. Skylee's 被证明自己是对的 captures that meaning a bit better, I think.

Or is it also acceptable to most people?

"being right and being proved right are two different things"--- the subject of this sentence, I think, is "the beliefs", so, for me, I prefer the translation from echo_zkl. and it is more native.

but skylee also did a good job.

to creamyhorror:

Just a principle, real chinese don't use the passive voice much, especially in the written language. 被证明自己是对的 is correct but not the best. :wink:

Try to avoid the passive voice in Chinese, you will talk in a way closer to the natives.

Echo