Chinese-Forums

钻石王老五�- sugar daddy

Scoobyqueen

王老五 is from a movie of the same name (starring Jiang Qing -- Madame Mao!), in which the main character is a 35-year-old bachelor. It's used now to refer to old bachelors in general.

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%8E%8B%E8%80%81%E4%BA%94

《王老五》中的男主人公35岁还未结婚,影片中有插曲唱出了王老五的单身生活:“王老五呀王老五,说你命苦真命苦,白白活了三十五,衣裳破了没人补。哎呀呀王老五,衣裳破了没人补哇,依呀呀得儿喂,锅里有水没米煮,依呀呀得儿喂,可怜可怜王老五,天天害得相思苦……”后来“王老五”就成了大龄单身男性的代名词。

Adding 钻石 (diamond) in front makes it "eligible bachelor."

钻石王老五 has to be single, wealthy and considerably young (in my opinion, under 45). More important, 钻石王老五 does not chase girls, but is chased by girls. If a girl marries to a 钻石王老五, her mum will feel proud, but if she has a suger daddy, well, probably the whole family will feel ashamed because of her.

You may consider "乾爹".

乾爹 can mean 2 different things:1. similar to godfather 2. suggar daddy. :)

EDIT: oops! sorry! I didn't read your post carefully. You're looking for the translation of 鑽石王老五. I thought you were asking translation of 'suggar daddy'.

Another expression like 鑽石王老五 is 黃金單身漢.

Edited by semantic nuance