Chinese-Forums

随意性强 – meaning?

Scoobyqueen

I think this expression 随意性强 may often occur together (all four characters) is that right? I am unsure as to how to translate it. Some dictionaries suggest that 随意性 means haphazard (as noun) but I was wondering if there was a better translation/idiomatic expression that would cover it. Is it not mainly used for people or managers who change their mind a lot and who have no clear management structure?

Context always helps of course, but if you split it up, the meaning probably becomes clearer. The 性 properly refers to 性格 (xìnggé) 'nature, disposition', and 隨意 is the adjective meaning 'do as one pleases'. It probably refers to someone who 'just does as he or she pleases', in this translation, the 'just' gives the idea of 強.

Right, 强 is here to "enhance" the 随意性.

Some examples of the idiomatic use of the phrase for you:

Referring to people 随意性强 carries the meaning of capricious, subjective, overbearing or despotic.

It's other meanings include unreasonable as in 随意性太强(ref. to criteria 什么的标准:收费/消费 标准随意性太强) or selection, choice being (too) random as in 选择 随意性强 random selection, arbitrary choice, or way of doing things as in 方式随意性强, even one's individual taste in fashion as in 服装, 服饰 随意性很强 referring to casual wear, unconventional clothing etc.

EDIT: In the context you provided my best guess would be that 随意性 may imply creativity 具有创造性, similar to the meaning in: 表演随意性很强 or 工作方式/表演有点太随意了 leaving plenty of room for improvisation (& creativity)

Edited by leeyah