Chinese-Forums

Help with some expressions in a sina comment

yersi

I was reading a piece over at Sina today by Yang Dongping, a math professor, who was complaining about the difficulty of the test used in the math olympics (among other things). When I checked out the comments below I came across one that turned out to be quite a headache to figure out. I've bolded the sections I had trouble with:

杨老师是教育业内达人,应该知道奥数疯狂的“制度性”缘由啊~

达到了1) 南霸天,还有1) 北霸天;打到了奥数,还有其他更多的“术”。

2)就小学而言, 奥数迷狂源于小升初升学理念及制度同资源畸形格局的无奈冲突。这种从70年代末就开始的积重难返,三令五申怎地管用——如同政府部门堂皇领导与政协人大老爷爷要求下令保证中小学生睡眠小时数一样,不是一般的扯淡。社会的公害,表面上看,是奥数,从根儿上说,——那奥数是3) 窦娥

从制度化的积重难返的角度看,“还小学生以健康的权利、休息的权利”,在当下及今后不短的时间里,还“真的是非常高深、艰难、不可实现的目标”。4) 不信杨老师咱打赌5) 一碗豆汁儿的

1) according to Baidu, 南霸天 refers to a wealthy landowner on Hainan, who was used as the villain in a ballet called "红色娘子军". So the implication here is that once you've defeated something nasty, you still have something even nastier to defeat. I'd appreciate some background info on this.

2) I have a vague idea what this sentence means but I'm still not entirely sure. Something like "the absurdity of the math olympics lies within the fact that elementary school students are studying [some hard math stuff]"?

3) I actually read "The Injustice to Dou E" in a Chinese lit class a few years ago, but I'm still not sure what the commenter means here by saying that "奧數是竇娥".

4) "if you don't believe him, let's bet on it"?

5) What does he mean by 一碗豆汁?

Of course, if some of you are willing to translate the entire comment I'd be really grateful for that.

2)就小学而言, 奥数迷狂源于小升初升学理念及制度同资源畸形格局的无奈冲突。

For elementary schools, the Math Olympiad craze is due to the helpless conflict between the educational philosophy and system of elementary and middle school promotion and the distorted allocation of resources.

从根儿上说,——那奥数是3) 窦娥。

"unjustly accused" as you said, or perhaps translate as "scapegoat."

4) 不信杨老师咱打赌,5) 一碗豆汁儿的。

There probably should be a comma before and after 杨老师.

The whole sentence translates as: "If you don't believe me, Mr. Yang, let's make a bet. The winner gets a bowl of soybean milk."

Edited by gato

达到了1) 南霸天,还有1) 北霸天;打到了奥数,还有其他更多的“术”。

First of all, “达到” and “打到”here are typos. They should be “打倒”. “你杀了南霸天,还有北霸天Even you could kill Tyrant of the South, there was still another Tyrant of the North ” is a famous word said by a red army cadre and Chinese communist party member Hong Changqing (洪常清) in a film called “Red Detachment of Women(Chinese name: 红色娘子军)”. In the film 南霸天is a despotic landlord. With such a word, Hong tried to enlighten Wu Qionghua吴琼花 that it would be no use to simply kill Tyrant of the South in a hurry and reckless way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Detachment_of_Women

Cheers!