Chinese-Forums

预习。复习 vs 预习

nesssssy

Hello, could someone explain me the precise meaning of 预习?In dictionaries it's translated 'prepare for lessons', 'rehearse', but then what's the difference between 复习 and 预习?When should we use one when another?Once somebody told

me that 复习 is used for something you already know,and 预习 - for new material,is that true?

Thanks)

Once somebody told me that 复习 is used for something you already know,and 预习 - for new material,is that true?

Absolutely right. 复 means 'again' in Classical Chinese, so 复习 means 'study again > review', whereas 预 means something like 'in advance', so 预习 means 'study in advance > preview'.

预习:to prepare a lesson

复习:to review (learn it again)

课前预习下课文,效果更好。

Preview the text before lesson, you will learn it more better.

考试之前,我们复习一学期的功课。

Before the examination we have a review of the term's work.

Well finally here's a Chinese language question to which I know the answer. The two correct replies already posted will not deter me from adding my Amen and another part of the learning process.

预习,复习,练习。

练习 = liánxì = practice; drill

hold up, let's make this interesing, let's throw 温习 out there too. dictionary says to review or revise, such as homework...but how else & what other contexts would one use this word and how would it be different from what is listed above....

example: 课前温习. 预习、复习是应对考试的最佳武器。

some explanations are given on Baidu, but what do our local experts think?

温习,复习和预习有什么不同 and here

is it really a North vs. South, length of time, or learning something new from something old-thing? I am curious....

Edited by heifeng
fixed link so people can read it before posting the exact same thing as on baidu

So if I further respond am I claiming to be an expert?????

I don't claim to be an expert. But I'll have a go.

I think it's too seldom used to bring up but the one I'm familiar with is more of an abstract thing. 温习目标

I believe it's also used some things about love contexts but I don't know enough to actually make more of a statement than this.

练习 = liánxì = practice; drill

I'm sorry, because I know how great the feeling is when you know the answer to questions on Chinese...but.the tones are the other way around, it's liànxí. I'm sure you knew this though :)

And to afriday11: I think, but I'm not a native speaker, that I've never heard 预习 used for teachers' preparing their lessons. I think that might be called 预备 yùbèi? But I'm not sure.

is it really a North vs. South, length of time, or learning something new from something old-thing?
I'm inclined to think there is minimal, if any, difference between 复习 and 温习, which could be regional or stylistic. I don't think learning something new from something old has anything to do with the meaning of either word, but to do with how our mind works: we can make something new out of knowing the old. For this, there's this chengyu: 温故知新

I'm just gonna post what I found on Baidu, since i assume these answers are by native speakers, so it's interesting to see their interpretation of the words...

首先我觉得是时间问题。预习,当然是排在最前面的。就是对不熟悉的事物或者教学内容有一个初步的了解。复习呢,是学过之后加深印象的,是对知识的巩固和积累过程。而温习是一个常用词,我们经常用在考试前,是全面系统地把握一段时间所学,是思考升华的关键步骤。纯属个人言论

2:

温习和复习是一个意思,南方人喜欢说温习,北方人说复习,预习就是把新知识在老师讲之前,预先学习一遍,所以叫预习。

温习是学新课前稍微复习一下旧知识,温故而知新

复习是学完后巩固知识

预习是新课前提前粗略学习新知识,上课时候能更快听懂

温习和复习是一个意思,南方人喜欢说温习,北方人说复习,预习就是把新知识在老师讲之前,预先学习一遍,所以叫预习。

I doubt the "completeness" of it being a regional difference. I think 温习 is just not used that often and probably used more so in the South. I don't think saying 南方人喜欢说温习 is a correct expression. I think it's used very rarely, but when it is used it tends to be more in the south.

In terms of teacher prep 准备 would be used the most.

i assume these answers are by native speakers, so it's interesting to see their interpretation of the words...
And I don't see any real difference to what I've said about 复习 and温习:mrgreen:. Anyway, one thing worth mentioning is that 温 by itself can be used in the same way as 温习, whereas one cannot use 复 alone for 复习.