Chinese-Forums

Another meaning of 字迹?

sagilogo1

The word 字迹 usually means 'handwriting' but in this example:

喜欢你字迹清秀的关心

Would you agree that the actual meaning of 字迹 is 'unique' or 'special' (as the handwriting of a person is unique or special)?

so the translation would be:

"I like the special and delicate way you treat me"

Yes, I'd say it does, in some way.

The key to this phrase lies in 清秀 ,which is attributive to 字迹, and is similar in meaning to 优美 'simple & graceful' or just 'nice'.

字迹 literally means the 'footprints' of writing, the 'impression' one's 字writing makes, 字迹的印象.

And if you look at 迹 on its own, apart from its basic meaning of trace, mark, footprint, you'll see that it also means 形迹, outward sign, movement & expression. So, your guess is ok.

I think this is a bit mistaken. The original context is more like saying: I like/appreciate your concerns about me, (that was expressed) by your pure and elegant handwriting.

Leeyah is right about 清秀. I'll interpret it as "pure and elegant" though. It's a complimentary word used for pretty stuff, and especially for praising girls. Conventionally Chinese prefer girls to be "pure and elegant" rather than "hot and spicy".

As for 字迹, if you really break it down you can interpret it as the "expression" of one's handwriting. But mostly it's just talking about one's handwriting.

Thanks imron & vampire for replying.

it means live a rich life. full expression is 吃香的喝辣的
Yes, the original expression is as below:

你跟别人吃香又喝辣去

丢我一个人在这里吹冷空气

(And yes, whoever 你 in the sentence is, IS very wise! :D)

你跟别人吃香又喝辣去

丢我一个人在这里吹冷空气

Talk of vocabulary, I wonder if 吹冷空气 in the lyrics of 《算你狠》 mentioned by HashiriKata is the same in meaning with 吹冷风 (散布冷话冷语, make sarcastic remarks)?:-?

Edited by leeyah
song name typo for 狠 as in 'cruel', 'heartless' :)

It should be 狠 (without the dot on top)

Your correction is welcome, skylee, thank you.

But still, & are visually and otherwise pretty close in meaning, as in: 人对人是狼, 最狠的狼...(or perhaps not?)

Also, any ideas on 吹冷空气 = 吹冷风, figuratively, anyone? :help

Leeyah, thanx for that link -

its amazing and seems far better than Dict.CN which Ive been using so far.

Regarding the topic.. Im still not 100% convinced that the line refers to actual handwriting and not 'signature' of one's behaviour as I have mentioned in the first post in this thread.

Thanks anyway this was very helpful

any ideas on 吹冷空气 = 吹冷风, figuratively, anyone?
As usual, I'm just guessing...(to help :mrgreen:)

The material difference: one is "cold air" and the other is "cold wind". Figuratively, I think 吹冷空气 is to feel desolate, to feel lonely. 吹冷风 on the other hand, according to Wenlin & others, is "to throw cold water on, make discouraging remarks."