Chinese-Forums

How to learn all those synonyms?

MengJiaSheng

Recently I have often ecnountered new words that according to the dictionary have the same meaning but still seem to be used in slightly different situations. However often I am not sure when to use which word. For example 充足 and 够 both mean "to be enough, sufficient", still I dont know how to find out when to use which one. It really occured to me recently that Chinese has many more words for almost the same or the same meaning. Where English might have one word Chinese might have 3 for roughly the same meaning. Thats why I am looking for the best word to still distinguish between these words in some way.

This sort of thing is best learnt through context. As you encounter the words while reading and listening, you'll get a better feeling for using them properly.

I don't think that English is any better in this regard, it's just that Chinese has several very common examples that stand out.

This is also where a chinese-chinese dictionary comes in handy. The explanations will clarify a lot of "situational" ones. However, there are many others that you just have see in context. Google search with quotes can help with this. Just kind of see how it is being used and it will give you an idea of words that just aren't actually used all that much. There is a danger with this method so use it wisely- google is not a dictionary or a teacher, but a fairly good reference tool.

What you need is, as renzhe already said, either quality reading stuff so you can learn words in context, or a good dictionary with plenty of examples/explanations, or (best option) a good text book which explains the differences between words similar in meaning, then tests your understanding through exercises, like this one:

辨析括号里的词,选择合适的填空:

1.这篇文章我__________写了三天。 (足足,足够)

I think you can order Chinese textbooks online (HSK vocab brushups are good) but if you're unable to get any perhaps you can browse through examples in 句酷 (you can type both words in one go and it will give you sentences) Dict.cn or 103.net. It's not the same as you have to figure out the finesse by yourself, but it helps.

Of the examples you gave, I'd say 充足 is more like abundant, plentiful while 足够 means just about enough, will do.

These are all really good advice, but you shouldn't panic.

As long as you understand the general meaning of the words, you'll be fine. You just need more exposure and things will click after a while, as long as you're listening/reading enough of good stuff.