Chinese-Forums

Corresponding idiom to a movie quote

Groat

Hello all, I think it's my first post. Been following this forum for some time though.

Anyway, I was watching John Woo's Red Cliff 赤壁, and in it is a scene where Takeshi Kaneshiro (who plays Zhuge Liang) says something along the lines of 什么都略懂一点, 生活更多彩一些 (not entirely certain). I believe it was translated as "knowing a thing or two about everything makes life have a bit more colour", is this correct?

Is this sentence attributed to some historical person (such as Zhuge Liang) and is this its original form, or is there a shorter/chengyu version of it?

I kinda liked the dilettante attitude of the phrase and was wondering if its John Woo's imagination or a "proper" Chinese saying or a modification of one.

Cheers.

Zhugeliang is famous for using this word 略懂 throughout the novel. This is his way of expressing modesty. Whenever he says this it means he knows more than he says, as is seen from his actions.

《赤壁》“略懂”

在电影里,诸葛亮的扮演者是金城武,一个很幽默也很博学的书生。他说的最多的一句话就是“略懂”。他懂阵势,接生,音乐,天气,当别人问他一样时,他都说自己是略懂。这是一种谦虚,低调的处事态度,往往略懂的人是真懂,真懂的人是略懂。

There are phrases 略知皮毛, 略懂皮毛 & 略知一二、略识之无 which Zdict lists as 成语.

(略) combined with (懂),(知), (识) means understand a little, know a thing or two about something, as in >> 我略懂这门语言。 I understand a little this language. or

略懂法语皮毛的进,帮忙翻译两个词语的意思?(急) = anyone who knows any french pls help me translate these two sentences. (It's urgent!)

Your translation is correct but just to clarify, it isn't about more color so much as more "excitement", more 精彩. So it is similar to a "jack of all trades", they can do a lot of things and therefore they have more fun in life (yes I know jack of all trades in English doesn't carry this connotation... just for example purposes).

I understand it as: it's good to know a little bit of everything, it makes life more pleasant, doesn't it?

... similar to a "jack of all trades", they can do a lot of things and therefore they have more fun in life (yes I know jack of all trades in English doesn't carry this connotation... just for example purposes).

No! Definitely not the same! You just gave Zhugeliang a bad name muyongshi. It's not fair... :roll::wink: