Chinese-Forums

How do I say, " sometime we should..."

stoney

回头 is informal for (sometime) later. You can often hear people say >> 回头见! See you later!

& you don't need to specify basketball because everywhere you look it's boys playing 篮球 (!), not 足球 - strangely enough, that's girls' territory in China :roll: So, when they say 打球 they mean basketball.

Then include what's necessary in the context. Obviously, there's also harm in including too much info when the context has made it unnecessary.

Yes as long as someone has mentioned the word basketball already then you can use that sentence but otherwise I don't think you'd have any idea.

you don't need to specify basketball because everywhere you look it's boys playing 篮球 (!), not 足球 - strangely enough, that's girls' territory in China So, when they say 打球 they mean basketball.

Well that is definitely not true.

you don't need to specify basketball because everywhere you look it's boys playing 篮球 (!), not 足球 - strangely enough, that's girls' territory in China So, when they say 打球 they mean basketball.

Well usually you 踢足球 instead of 打足球. But I'm not really very sure if the boys will be very happy to hear that 足球 is "girls' territory" in China or not. :mrgreen:

I thought the 踢 goes without saying in 足球, but it's ok, mea culpa for not specifying. Em, what about baseball? I suppose it's also 打球?

& guys, I didn't mean to be rude, I'd really be glad to hear more about men's football in China as soon as they actually manage to get past World Cup qualifications in such a notorious group :wink: with Iraq, UAE, Mianmar et al (I dare not imagine what it'd look like if they had Japan or Korea as opponents!!!) On the other hand, Chinese soccer "ladies" are already packing their stuff for the World Cup 2010. I'd most certainly prefer seeing Chinese guys make it to the World Cup for a change ... Any time. Trust me. :mrgreen:

Yeah I don't give a rat's tail about pro sports in this discussion. We are talking about normal, everyday average people here. I mean you're not gonna walk up to yao ming and say "hey, lets play some bball someday!".

So your statement is still just a load of nothingness because people play both sports here equally and actually on the lower levels of common people, aside from maybe college students, I'd say guys dominate in both sports for leisure activities.

Edit: and by dominate I'm not talking about who's better, just numbers of who plays them

I thought the 踢 goes without saying in 足球, but it's ok, mea culpa for not specifying. Em, what about baseball? I suppose it's also 打球?

My point is, 足球 was not a very good example here. Certainly you could take the 球 in 打球 as 排球 or 棒球 or even 羽毛球, but not really 足球, IMHO.

Back to OP's question, you can try 啥时候一起去打篮球吧, if you want to sound a bit "northern".

And I wasn't asking about hpyothetical people's sporting preferences, but common usage of 打球....

I know... and what I'm saying is that the "common" usage will depend on who you are talking to. There is not a if I go up to 50 people randomly and say this 45 of them will say basketball. It will vary greatly and that was the point of my answer.