Chinese-Forums

Cojak Dictionary doesn't display all characters ?

leeyah

I appologize in advance if this may sound like a stupid question, but I came across this site recently (Cojak Hanzi Dictionary) and tried using it, but I can't seem to get all the characters to display properly. The same thing has happened a couple of times before with some other dictionary sites, so I've been wondering what's it all about. Here's a screenshot of the search result for 香:

Can anyone please explain why characters are missing in 5,8 and 18? I tried all the encodings in my Firefox but still nothing.

Do I need to install that SimSun (Founder Extended) or is it the same as SimSun18030.ttc, which I think was preinstalled, if that's what GB 18030 stands for.

I'd really appreciate any help or advice.

2742_thumb.attach

Those are very rarely used characters not included in standard fonts.

They are included in Wenlin, though.

If you have Wenlin, just search the code in the box -- e.g., 4B72 -- under List > 5. Characters by Unicode. (Not that this is really worth doing, but just in case you're curious what you're not seeing.)

Well, let me take back what I said.

I just downloaded the GB18030 Support Package from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/china/WINDOWS2000/DOWNLOADS/18030.mspx

And then installed it (you have to click to install it after downloading) and voilá those missing characters now show on Firefox. But they don't show on IE, even though I reset fonts in IE options to Simsum18030; perhaps a reboot is needed.

So my suggestion, since you're running Firefox, would be to try to reinstall the support package from Microsoft.