Chinese-Forums

Chorioretinitis, toxoplasmosis in Chinese?

mudhead

Is there a (bilingual) doctor in the house?? I need to know the correct Chinese term for "chorioretinitis," an infection in the retina of the eye. Also I need the Chinese for "toxoplasmosis," one of the causes of chorioretinits. I suffered from both these when I was a kid and I think the infection may have started up again, over 50 years later. I need these terms to explain to Chinese doctors what I've got. I would deeply appreciate expert help. I have already lost most of the vision in one eye to this infection and it would be most upsetting to have any more damage.

And if anyone by some miracle knows an ophthalmologist in Sichuan who knows anything about chorioretinitis, or how to find such a doctor, I would be eternally grateful.

Is there a (bilingual) doctor in the house??

I'm a doctor but my Chinese is not up to the required task. Imron's link looks like an excellent starting point for explaining what you think you’ve got.

I'm only writing to add that this may be worth a trip home to get sorted out. The diagnosis requires advanced laboratory techniques that might not be available in Chengdu or Chongqing. And the treatment is not at all straight forward.

I’m not an ophthalmologist and cannot advise you beyond this point.

Does anyone know whether doctors in China learn the english (latin) names of conditions in medical school? If they do, you would only need to write down the words.

As far as I know, it is all done in Chinese.

And if anyone by some miracle knows an ophthalmologist in Sichuan who knows anything about chorioretinitis, or how to find such a doctor, I would be eternally grateful.

I had a quick search. The best I could do was this listing for a doctor at 四川省人民医院 which lists 葡萄膜炎 as a "擅长". The same site also has a listing for the disease 葡萄膜炎 which lists possibilities in other cities (including one in Chongqing). Couldn't see any listings for the full 弓形体性葡萄膜炎.

Hope that's of some help.

Edit: And should point out - that's a third party website, and as such is not necessarily up to date and accurate. Although the hospitals' own sites may not be much better . . .

Roddy and Imron, thanks so much for your help! I've forwarded your replies to the people in the Foreign Affairs office of my college in Neijiang, who are great and do everything for us foreign teachers. We shall see what we shall see.

Abcdefg, thanks for the heads-up. If I have to return to Canada for this, I will... but I'd much rather get local help. Chengdu is supposed to have the best hospital in western China, according to the people in F.A. office, and Roddy's link suggests that there might be someone there who knows about this condition. At least I have some idea what it might be... unlike the first time around, when local doctors in New Mexico scared my parents to death by telling them (falsely) that I had cancer! :shock:

Does anyone know whether doctors in China learn the english (latin) names of conditions in medical school? If they do, you would only need to write down the words.

Some English language terms are introduced during medical training. This provides exposure to the Latin roots of the relevant words, but it does not render the average clinical practitioner able to reliably figure out the meanings of conditions or treatments from their Latin names alone. They mainly rely on Chinese for things like this in day to day practice even though some may read English language medical journals and textbooks.