Chinese-Forums

"精编本" ?

HashiriKata

What is 精编本? I often see this in relation to dictionaries. Does it mean "concise edition"?

The interesting thing is when I search the internet for this word, it appears all the times after the names of dictionaries but I couldn't find it in any of the dictionaries, on-line of off-line.

Edited by HashiriKata
typos

What is 精编本? I often see this in relation to dictionaries. Does it mean "concise edition"?

Well, 精编本 usually means the contents in it are something the most important / useful/ essential you shouldn’t miss. It means “essential edition”, perhaps.

it appears all the times after the names of dictionaries

Sometimes it goes after the names of teaching materials, fairy tales, newspaper digests or things like that. How about take a look at here? -> http://www.baidu.com/s?wd=%BE%AB%BB%AA%B1%BE

Cheers!

Thank you, studentyoung!

Well, 精编本 usually means the contents in it are something the most important / useful/ essential you shouldn’t miss. It means “essential edition”, perhaps.

So essentially, 精编本 is normally shorter than the original edition, is this right? But there's also something called 缩编本, what would then be the difference betwwen 精编本 and 缩编本 ?