Chinese-Forums

how to say "buddhist monk" mandarin

sherab

Hello, I just found your forum today. I would like to know how to write or preferably say (in Mandarin) - Buddhist monk. Ideally I want to say " I am going to Thailand to be a Buddhist monk" so I can explain this to my Tai Ji teacher here in U.K. who speaks very little English.

I have searched the forum and found - "heshang" and elsewhere - "shao zhi" for monk, but unsure how to pronounce as the only word I know is "Sifu" and I cannot speak Mandarin.

I apologise if this is not an appropriate request - the users here seem to be serious students, so i do not want to misuse the forum, but I would be very grateful for your help.

和尚 héshang is the common word for "buddhist monk" in mandarin.

"to become a monk" is 出家 chūjiā, which literally means to "leave home".

you can say; 我去泰国出家 wǒ qù tàiguó chūjiā. "i am going to thailand to become a monk (leave home)." or 我打算去泰国出家 wǒ dǎsuàn qù tàiguó chūjiā. "i plan to go to thailand to become a monk", or 我想去泰国出家 wǒ xiǎng qù tàiguó chūjiā "i would like to go to thailand to become a monk."

:)

Those would have been Chinese characters that apparently your browser is having trouble displaying. You might have to change your browser's character set. Try setting it to Unicode UTF-8. Generally, this is an option under View -> Character set.

i think 僧人 sēngrén and 僧侣 sēnglǚ can refer to either a monk or a nun.

the character 僧 sēng is a shortened transliteration of the sanskrit word "sangha", meaning the buddhist monastic community (either monks or nuns).

法师 fǎshī literally means "dharma master" and is an honorific titled used on a monk or nun, not by them. so if the original poster wants to say he will become a monk, its best to say he will 出家 chūjiā (leave home) or become a 和尚 héshang (buddhist monk). this is the word for a male monastic. a female, nun, is called 尼姑 nígū or 尼僧 nísēng.

Just a further thank you. This time especially skylee for the link / information, which allowed me to download gif images for all the characters offered. And yes L-F-J, I will be an ordinary bhikkhu (pali) certainly not a dharma master - maybe one day! In the Theravada tradition in Thailand one is said to "go forth into the homeless life", so the suggestions offered are compatible with that.

the chinese transliteration of bhikkhu (sanskrit: bhikshu) is 比丘 bǐqiū, but that is really only used in the chinese sutras where they dont translate many words like that.

the equivalent in spoken chinese is 和尚 héshang, but they are different from the theravada tradition, in that to be fully ordained in china you must also take the bodhisattva precepts on top of the full pratimoksha.

by the way, sherab-

in chinese tradition people just refer to monks as 法师 fǎshī, meaning dharma master/teacher, regardless of their experience or whether or not they teach. it is just a term of respect when speaking to or about a monk/nun. it is equivalent of the term "venerable" that is tagged onto the monk's dharma-name.

you would never use the term on yourself anyway, just like you wouldnt say "i am ven. so-and-so". or say that you will become a "fashi".