Chinese-Forums

How to day "just as..."

Scoobyqueen

I think 同时 is more like "at the same time as", and is more suitable for describing an extended process (ie. one process happens concurrently with another).

"just as", in the context you provided, seems to be describing a discrete event which happened precisely at the same time as another event. I would say something like 就在...的时候 or 正在...的时候.

Anyway, as usual, I must state the non-native-speaker disclaimer.

启动 can be used either as a transitive verb or an intransitive verb. e.g. 该计划将于今年九月启动。

启动 can't be used here. Imho, it is a matter of collocation. we do not say 革命启动

rahter, we say 启动项目 启动(开动)机器 项目启动 机器启动(开动)

I think, here I would side with gato. Yip and Rimmington call it "notional passive", some kind of 被-less passive construction avoiding the adversative connotation 被 usually has. Examples include 问题解决了 and 信寄走了.

The vast majority of examples from jukuu is transitive as well.

Just for kicks, i played with this sentence in the Google translator Atitarev reported on yesterday. http://www.chinese-forums.com/showthread.php?p=209240#post209240

This is what it gave:

the company was set up just as the industrial revolution started:

该公司成立,正如工业革命开始

the company was set up around the beginning of the industrial revolution:

该公司成立前后的工业革命开始

the company was founded right at the beginning of the industrial revolution:

该公司成立于权在工业革命开始

the company was set up when the industrial revolution started:

该公司成立时,工业革命开始

the company was set up exactly when the industrial revolution started:

该公司成立时,正是工业革命开始

It seems the translator doesn't do a terrible job as long as you stay away from imprecise terms (such as just/around/right in these examples) that are subject to numerous interpretations pending on the context.

Well, I'm going to stick my neck out here, and talk about grammar, which admittedly I'm not an expert in. However, as I understand it, the notion of subject and object is a grammatical notion, and the subject of a sentence need not necessarily be the performer of the action of the verb, but could be the recipient. Intransitive verbs are those that do not take a grammatical object, but it does not mean that the verb cannot have a recipient.

For example, on this PDF such sentences are refered to as 受事主语句, and one example given is 饭吃完了. Grammatically, 饭 is the subject of the sentence even though it is the recipient of the action, and the verb 吃 does not have an object, so in this sentence is serving as an intransitive verb.

So, I think I have to agree with kenny2006woo when he says:

Here, 启动 is an intransitive verb. 计划 is the subject, not the object.

no, of course not. You can analyse a phenomenon like the "notional passive" in different ways of course. But it does look like a derived construction to me, because if the verb were really both trans. and intrans. you'd expect more intransitive uses...

"计划" should be object,

"该计划将于今年九月启动" be translated as "The plan will be started in this September"

that means, "计划被启动"

The "plan" is the recipient of the action, but grammatically, it is still constitutes a subject in the sentence.

Consider this sentence: "He kicked me." Of course, it is immediately clear which the subject and object are, but we can also identify the subject and object by considering their forms ("he" as opposed to "him", and "me" as opposed to "I"). Now put this into the passive. It becomes "I was kicked by him", not "Me was kicked by he". Clearly, "I" has taken on the roll of subject, even though it is the recipient of the action.

As mentioned in a previous post, Chinese calls this kind of sentence 受事主语句, which translates as something like "affected subject sentence", where the subject of the sentence is the thing affected by the action of the verb.