Chinese-Forums

Idiom 如入无人之境

chrix

Recently when walking with some Chinese friends in an area where there were no other people around, one of them used this idiom: 如入無人之境 . At the time, it made sense to me.

However, just now, reading the Zuozhuan, in a description of a battle in Ancient China, the commentary uses this very same idiom not to mean "there were no soldiers", but "they met no resistance". So I check in the dictionary, and sure enough it says: "好像進入了沒有敵軍的地方。比喻作戰驍勇、無人能抵擋。"

So can you use it in the situation described above as well? I mean we weren't a foreign army trying to occupy the banks of the Elbe river, we were just harmless pedestrians suddenly finding themselves in a totally deserted area (and even though to the Chinese eye all German cities are empty, this was also empty to the German eye :mrgreen: )

Edited by chrix

haha, if you walked in a area where is there in other people, I'm sure your friend used this idiom wrong.:mrgreen:

如入无人之境,originally used for battle, as you mentioned "they met no resistance" win the war easily. it's not 没有人,should be 好像没有人。