Chinese-Forums

Difference between 变,变成,etc.

valikor

Are there important differences between

改变

变成

成为

?

I assume there are, but the dictionary gives "become" or "change" for all of them and I know they're not the same. If someone could *briefly* explain it, that would be great (I'm a beginner and probably can't handle a lot of detail anyways -.- )

thanks

as a rule of thumb, if it has "成" or "为" in it, it means something along the lines of "change into X, change and become X". There's some differences between 变成, 成, 成为, but I'm sure it will come up later in your studies..

改变 OTOH, means "to change something", or just "change", if used intransitively. AFAIK, 变 alone would also be used like that, though intransitive use ("you changed!") seems to be more common to me.

I hope this wasn't too detailed:mrgreen:

The biggest difference between"变” and “变成" is that "变” stresses the process of the change( an action) and “变成" stresses the result or consequence of this change ( action completed). It's like the [Grammar] progressive tense and the present perfect tense.

For example, 天正渐渐变凉;他变成大孩子了。