Chinese-Forums

Christmas Chengyu

chrix

I've already scheduled a text on "Christmas chengyu" for my chengyu column, which is due to appear on Christmas Eve, and in the course of preparing for it I've come across a number of chengyu that might capture the Christmas spirit (or might not), and I'd like to hear your opinions on those, and suggest some more, if you can think of some. I'm of course concerned that some of those will primarily conjure up images of 春節 (so let me know as well if a chengyu from the list below primarily evokes images of the Chinese New Year)...

I'm also aware that a lot of these chengyu can be used in a variety of situations, but since Christmas is not a Chinese holiday, there aren't that many specifically Christmas-y ones...

• 平安喜樂 (this is not a chengyu, but I'm told this is a collocation specifically used by Christians, would be great to get more confirmation on this)

• 張燈結綵

• 瑞雪兆豐年

• 興高采烈

• 喜氣洋洋

• 火樹銀花

• 美輪美奐

• 鑼鼓喧天

• 駢肩累喠

• 笙歌鼎沸

• 闔家團圓

• 五彩繽紛

• 皓如繁星

• 熙熙攘攘

And happy holidays, everyone!

Edited by chrix

瑞雪兆豐年

瑞雪兆豐年 = Lucky snow will predict an abundant year [full of harvest, obviously concerning farmers having a full harvest the following year after seeing snowfall as a sign.] You could say this will make you think of a new year.

Yeah, I think this is one of those chengyu that is leaning more towards the New Year.

Though in the West, Christmas season is also a period of reflection about what's coming next year, so it might somewhat work as well, I don't know...

Yes, I know that, and I don't think it was all that ambiguous from the context....

You and I both know that, but others might not know it yet.

The ambiguity stems from the fact that there's different terms in Chinese:

春节, spring festival = Chinese New Year's Day, in which the date varies annually on the Gregorian calendar, while 元旦, born on the first day = New Year's Day on the Gregorian/Western calendar, aka January 1st.

I would agree. So I guess I should rephrase my question slightly, which of the chengyu above are especially apt to conjure up an image of the Christmas season in the West, with the atmosphere, at home with your family, in the streets and shops that are decorated etc.

I don't think you can compare it like that. Idioms have quite a different function in both languages. Using too many of them in English quickly runs the risk of sounding too cliché, while not necessarily so in Chinese.

That said, check these links out:

http://www.ftd.de/div/podcast/business-english/:phrases-and-idioms-christmas-idioms/450927.html

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/38/messages/1398.html

I'm not totally happy with them, but you get the idea. Like the romantic image of "White Christmas" (maybe not so much an issue at a place where Christmas is spent on the beach :mrgreen:), or other expressions such as "Next year I'm off her Christmas card list" alluding to the practice of sending cards around this time of year etc..,