Chinese-Forums

Exact meaning of 临+ 时/前

MengJiaSheng

I was wondering lately what the exact translation for the use of 临 is. I understand that it expresses the immanent future, something like "at the time when something is about to happen".

But especially when it is used with 时 or 前, I cant really understand the difference between the usages.

他临出门前,。。。。-->I understand the meaning here is "Just before he went out"

他临出门时,。。。。--> But what would the difference be in this sentence?

他临出门,。。。。Can 临be used on its own like it would be here? And what would the difference in meaning be?

他临时出门,。。。How exactly is 临时used if the two characters are put together like here?

Thanks for your help.

他临时出门,。。。How exactly is 临时used if the two characters are put together like here?
= "He's away at the moment"

临时 can be used as a noun, an adjective or an adverb; and its meaning will change somewhat depending its surrounding and its grammatical function in the sentence.

I think 他临出门时 is ok, maybe not as common as 他临出门前, but still acceptable.

I don't often see structures like 他临出门 with 临 standing alone. I can't say that it is totally wrong, but I just feel that unless supported by particular context, it will sound quite strange to me.

They are pretty much the same to me as well.

I agree! It's interesting that "临" is defined as "just before something happens" but in practice it's often used to mean "when something happens", eg. 临时 :mrgreen:

Edited by HashiriKata

临死 = close to death, etc.

should be 临死时. 临死时 = the time [real time, in terms of days, hours, minutes, seconds, etc...] before someone died.

So, what's the meaning of "临死前" or "临生前" if 临死 = "close to death, etc..." ?

临生前 = the moment just before a woman gives birth to a child.

临死前 = the moment just before someone breathes their last breath and passes away.

他临出门前,。。。。-->I understand the meaning here is "Just before he went out"

他临出门时,。。。。--> But what would the difference be in this sentence?

他临出门,。。。。Can 临be used on its own like it would be here? And what would the difference in meaning be?

他临出门前,。。。。--> "Just before he went out"

他临出门时,。。。。--> "Just before the time he went out"

他临出门,。。。。Can 临be used on its own like it would be here? And what would the difference in meaning be? Huh? 临 = just; at the moment, etc...

他临时出门,。。。How exactly is 临时used if the two characters are put together like here? 临时 = same way you use the word "temporarily" in English.