Chinese-Forums

Help with vocabulary: 立志电影

LolaMcG

Recently, I was reading an article online when I came across the phrase 立志电影 li4zhi4dian4ying3. When I look it up in the dictionary it basically says that 立志 means "purpose; to set one's mind to something". But how do I translate this into English?! The sentence in the article was talking about a man and it said that the beginning of his life was like a 立志电影. Is the li4zhi4 a specific kind of film genre? I just can't figure it out. When I googled it and went to images, the kind of films that were coming up were things like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Forrest Gump, The Pursuit of Happyness...that kind of thing. I suppose films where characters go through hardships or bad times, but ultimately come out better or changed in the end? But what would you call that in English?!

Please, if you can help, much obliged, it is driving me absolutely crazy.

"inspirational / motivational" (with "up-lifting / heart-warming ending") are some English words that I can think of. You can use them to describe a type of film but I don't know if they are widely used enough to consider to be a film genre.

(I don't seem to be able to access the baidu link skylee gave)