Chinese-Forums

Kinship terms (Complete set)

null

But Liuzhou's link does not contain a "complete" set (whatever "complete" means here). One of my dictionaries has a five-page appendix of kinship terms, and a lot are missing from that site. Though my dictionary also includes colloquial terms, which also seem to be absent from the OP's list.

it's probably the most carefully edited Chinese dictionary I have:

中日大辭典 (all in simplified script and based on the putonghua standard), from a team at Aichi University (well-known for its Chinese department), published by 大修館書店, 8,600 JPY excluding sales tax.

null

Thanks for the links.

Liuzhou's link is only a portion of what you've listed with additional Chinese & Mandarin pronunciations which only helps a little if you're NOT Chinese. It is not "complete" meaning that it doesn't go beyond "5 generations": 五代 or 五世 because in the past, up to 5 generations would live in the same household.

Chrix, Your dictionary is called 中日大辭典 which means it has both Chinese & Japanese terms. I'm sure the Japanese kinship terms are different than the Chinese ones and might not be "complete" meaning that it doesn't go beyond "5 generations": 五代 or 五世 because in the past, up to 5 generations would live in the same household.

五代同堂 ["5 generations under the same roof"] or 五世其昌 ["May you be blessed with many children and grandchildren!* "] are frequently in ancient China as prosperous sayings.

*Source: http://mandarinbook.org/dictionary/index.php?q=message

Edited by trien27

Chrix, Your dictionary is called 中日大辭典 which means it has both Chinese & Japanese terms. I'm sure the Japanese kinship terms are different than the Chinese ones and might not be "complete" meaning it doesn't include terms for those generations before the "grandparents' generation" and a separate term for those cousins between the maternal side and paternal side, etc...

trien, I really wonder how you know the contents of a book you have never seen with your own eyes. This is a Chinese-Japanese dictionary, it doesn't go both ways, it naturally is about Chinese kinship terms only!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Is there a difference between the terms 丈夫 and 夫婿 for ‘husband’? From what little I gather, it depends on whether it is used by the 1st person (i.e. the speaker referring to her own husband) or the 3rd person (i.e. the speaker referring to another person’s husband).