Chinese-Forums

Radicals only compound list

buzhongren

Only a few of the words are composed of radicals only in Chinese characters.

For example:

怒 = 女[radical]+又[radical]+心[radical]: but in 怒, 奴 is the phonetic, and 心 is the radical.

It would be an impossible task.

There might be a misunderstanding here about character components and combination of characters ("compound" is not a good choice of words anyways, because it would suggest a combination of words)

So to clear matters up, the OP should post an example of what he is after...

If someone wants to do the crunching to generate this list, we have a list of all radicals in simplified form as part of the radical search sidebar for our Chinese English online dictionary. It should be quite easy to extract the data by stripping out the HTML.

Once you have a list of all radicals, I'd just iterate through them checking against the Adso database to see if the character exists. Probably 30 minutes of work for someone with programming experience. Probably take longer to download the Chinese database than anything else.

Here's a quick and dirty txt file of 2,3 and 4 character simplified character compounds composed of radicals.

I used Trevelyan's list of radicals and searched cdict for combinations. If there is a double entry for a compound, I've only listed the first. (There were 11 double matches)

Updated: now includes double row entries (v2 of the list)

Edited by HedgePig

HedgePig: Here's a quick and dirty txt file

Thanks. That was what I was looking for. Im surprised at the people who can program and know another oral language.

trevelyan: Probably take longer to download the Chinese database than anything else.

Is this some txt format viewable by an editor or browser without special software.

Does a list as suggested by trien27 exist. I think that would have to be compiled by hand. The text books might give you an example of a character made of radical compounds but that is far as it goes.

xiele,

Jim