Chinese-Forums

ew - a disgust particle

atitarev

Hi,

What's the closest equivalent of "Ew!" in Chinese? Are 哎哟 and 啊呀 the best options whe you want to express disgust?

EDIT:

I checked a few online dictionaries but perhaps the search word should be different. Perhaps, "yuck"? What about 呸 or 啐?

呸 is usually used to express disgust at a person or a thought, since it has some sort of connotation with spitting.

男:我们还是不要去购物吧。

Man: Let's not go shopping.

女:呸!

You get the idea :).

Somehow I feel if you just said Ew, most would get the message anyway. 哎哟could probably be used, but I don't feel that it is a specialized term for expressing disgust.

恶心 is the most commonly used.. but if you're looking for a thing to say when you tread into it, just say the 恶 part, this usually works for me.

Of course, if you want to go on to talk about it, you'll need to switch back to 恶心.:lol:

Not really heard of any others.:mrgreen:

And yes, it does mean disgusting.. but as I said, if you tread in it, and say "恶........!!!!!", this means "errrrRRRR!!!" like you'd say in English.

In my dialect we just make a sound like "eeeeeee..." in approximately the 4th tone of mandarin, which I think is kind of like "ew" in English. Don't know any equivalent in Mandarin though.

I agree with atitarev that 恶心 is more like "disgusting!" in English. The word itself carries an actual meaning.

I think we say "eeeeee" here in Singapore with a rising then falling tone (like a Mandarin 2nd then 3rd (pure low) tone). But it might be more for females.

(edit: "eeeee" sounding like "yiiiii")

Edited by creamyhorror

很恶

That and many other things.. 超恶 (super disgusting), 恶的不得了 (disgusting to a rediculous level), 恶心死 (so disgusting I could die) is also pretty popular, and probably what emits from my wife when she's stepped in something.

I would say that they do still all carry meanings though, rather than being onomatopoeic. The most onomatopoeic way of saying it is just to emit 恶 though.. "eeee".. ㄜ being the phonetic sound emitted when stepping in poop.:lol: