Chinese-Forums

Pimsleur Vocabulary

ranov

Hello, I'm new to the forums.

I've been studying Chinese for a couple of months now. I have a Taiwanese teacher, but I've also been taking the Pimsleur courses as a complement. They are VERY useful, but I still find it unacceptable that Pimsleur doesn't think it's important to have a kind of transcript for it! I know they probably want you to learn it the way a child would... But why not take advantage of wonderful skills that we've mastered as adults, such as reading (character decoding, letter-sound association, etc)???

I mean, many children make mistakes in pronunciation until they learn how to read, and realize that the word "thanks" is not pronounced "fanks"! I remember that I myself used to say "agüelita" as opposed to "abuelita" (grandmother in Spanish), and a bunch of other things like that until I learned how to read...

Anyway, enough ranting. My point is that I would highly, HIGHLY appreciate it if anyone could provide me with a vocabulary list for Pimsleur Mandarin II and III. I've already finished the first course and I could find such list, but as for the other 2 I haven't been successful in doing so.

I found a few links to some transcripts that have been removed because of copyright infringement. However, I don't want a transcript, I just want a vocabulary list to see the pinyin for the words. As for the Chinese characters I can look them up myself later, I just want to know exactly how to pronounce the vocabulary presented...

Thanks!

You can try looking here. I can't vouch of any of them, but it seems promising.

Just to state the obvious: you are learning pinyin from your teacher, right? You can't look at the pinyin and know how to pronounce it correctly, you need to learn how each pinyin syllable is pronounced.

Later edit: I forgot flashcardexchange requires payment to download their lists. There are some free ones here.