Chinese-Forums

Chengyu for standing out

Scoobyqueen

I am trying to recall a chengyu. This was the context: I was chatting to someone about the Chinese educational system and job scene and I asked if it wasnt difficult to stand out when there are that many people competing and she said yes and there is a chengyu for that.... but now I cant remember what she suggested. I would love to know if there is a good chengyu describing this situation. Any suggestions?

Thanks for this suggestion. I think this may indeed be the one. The reason why I couldnt remember it is that I didnt understand which bird it was in English. Now you mention it, I had a chance to look it up and I am fairly certain this chengyu is it. Thank you.

...supposedly in Japanese the saying is "Deru kugi wa utareru"' date=' translated as "The nail that sticks up gets hammered down".[/quote']

That's right. It looks like this: 出る釘は打たれる。Although I'm more familiar with the one that use kui in place of kugi: 出る杭は打たれる。