Chinese-Forums

Meaning of 打工

Mugi

I noticed the following comment in the 打工皇帝 thread:

"打工 doesn't imply to work as a part time worker. All employees earn their money by 打工"

Assuming this is correct, it represents an interesting semantic shift - in the mid 1990s in mainland China 打工 referred specifically to part-time or temporary work, not to full-time employment. At least that was how the word was used in standard Mandarin. I suspect that the meaning has always been broader/different in Cantonese (the image that comes to mind when I hear 打工 in Cantonese is of manual labour) and so perhaps was/is used differently in Mandarin in Guangdong.

Does 打工 now simply refer to any work whatsoever? Or are there still some regional differences?

Edited by roddy
formatting

I'm quite sure it still means 'part-time' work in Mandarin nowadays as well, I hear it used everywhere. It can also refer to doing work that is manual and doesn't require as much professional skills, like working in factories and so on.

should be low-level/entry-level employee or clerks, or labour jobs like factory workers etc, as opposed to 'the boss'. dont think it means 'part time' when first used in cantonese. more like a fixed working hours with fixed salary. temp job should be like '钟点工', paid by hourly rates.