Chinese-Forums

Reading numbers...

edelweis

I'll wager nobody ever actually has to read hex numbers out aloud (surely anyone who needs to will lack the social skills to speak?) but it'll just be the numbers as individual digits and the letters as English letters (with the Chinese pronunciation, naturally).

• Like 1

I do lack a lot of social skills =* =* but sometimes I do ask colleagues "error 0xEF45BA34 occurred in your code, what's that about?" or "how come register 45A reads 789EF after a reset" or "is address 0x80000000 remapped by the MMU" etc.

I had ended up assuming the Chinese read each letter and number individually as you suggest, and as Skylee described for decimal numbers (which is perhaps the same as in English? But definitely different from what I say in French)

Exactly what edelweis said! [re: "is address 0x80000000 remapped by the MMU" - yes, when the upper bit of the EA is set, that is no longer EA==RA mode.]

OK, I admit that most of the time I'd just IM the question, even when they are down the hall from me, but sometimes I do actually talk with my coworkers.

• 3 months later...

New questions about reading numbers, I wrote my guesses, can you please tell me whether they are correct and what is the most common way to read these:

100KB = "一百kilobyte" or "一百千字节" or ??

30%~40% = "从三十百分之到四十百分之" or "三四十百分之" or ??

Bear in mind that I am a HKer.

100KB = "一百kilobyte" or "一百千字节" or ??

I say 一百K-byte or 一百KB.

30%~40% = "从三十百分之到四十百分之" or "三四十百分之" or ??

I say -

a. 百分之三十到/至百分之四十 [or 百分之三十到/至四十] or

b. 三十巴仙到/至四十巴仙 [or 三十到/至四十巴仙]

c. or simply 三十 percent 到/至四十percent [or 三十到/至四十percent] .

• Like 1

• 4 months later...