Chinese-Forums

is it lapsang souchong tea?

aykut sozer

• New Members

hi,

i like lapsang souchong tea very much and a friend of mine brought me from china, but taste is very different then previously bought from us or uk. i like black tea and this is one of the best tea i ever had, it is very delicious.

is it a lapsang souchong tea? or what, i cannot read this package.

thank you very much for your kind helps.

aykut

post-39159-061309700 1284044985_thumb.jpg

Yes, Lapsang Souchong is tea. It's a black tea (红茶)that is smoked during part of its manufacture process.

I had some excellent Lapsang Souchong last month in Fuzhou 福州 that was made in the Wuyi mountain area 武夷山. If I'm reading the label right, that's where your's was from as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapsang_souchong

post-20301-010865900 1284123911_thumb.jpg

I had some excellent Lapsang Souchong last month in Fuzhou 福州 that was made in the Wuyi mountain area 武夷山. If I'm reading the label right, that's where your's was from as well.

武夷山 is where all Lapsang Souchong is from - if it's not from there, it's not Lapsang Souchong.

But yet, the wikipedia article says

Tea connoisseurs often note that Formosan lapsang souchong typically has a stronger flavour and aroma, the most extreme being tarry souchong (smoked, as the name implies, over burning pine tar).

So apparently Taiwan makes it as well.

So apparently Taiwan makes it as well

Which is known as 外山小种 (or Tarry Souchong in English) - it's the same manufacturing process, but the tea leaves (and presumeably the pine tar) are from different places. Think Champagne vs sparkling white wine.