Chinese-Forums

This is a common food

Ren

• New Members

Hello,

I was at a restaurant in NYC, and I asked my waiter what the next table had ordered. He said he didn't know what it was in English, but he wrote it for me (see attachment). I always see people ordering this. I have a clue what it is, but I wanted to ask you if you can identify it for me, and is it good? Thanks!

post-39697-049067900 1287505827_thumb.jpg

I think it is meant to be 上海黄菜  but your waiter used the wrong character for the last character. 

黄花菜 would make more sense - that would be Day Lily but what the difference between Shanghai Day Lilies and anywhere else's is nothing I know about.

• Like 1

Looks like 上湯莧菜 (shang4 tang1 xian4 cai4), written in traditional characters, with 菜 simplified to 才 as is often done in restaurants and markets.

You can do a Google image search to see if it looks like the right thing.

Edit: there were not so many answers above this at the time I posted - sorry to repeat the answers of others.

• Like 1

I have a clue what it is, but I wanted to ask you if you can identify it for me...

What is your clue?

You also indicated it was a common food in that restaurant, so it might help to know what kind of restaurant that is (Sichuan, Hong Kong, Dongbei, etc.)

• New Members

YES! My clue was that "it looks like spinach"

I googled the characters that you gave me, and it seems to be this:

http://www.noobcook.com/spinach-in-superior-broth/

Although in the restaurant I go to, it doesn't look like a dish with so much broth

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hop-lee-restaurant-new-york

Thanks again!

• 2 months later...