Chinese-Forums

Subway

bhchao

Have the little paper tickets been phased out in Beijing? I read from the beijing subway website that there is now a stored-value ticket. Is it a magnetic ticket or a proximity card?
Both systems are currently in use. The stored card is proximity based, and the per-trip tickets are either magnetic or paper based..

Both systems are currently in use. The stored card is proximity based, and the per-trip tickets are either magnetic or paper based..

This sounds confusing. Somehow it gives me the impression that if I have a stored-value ticket I might not be able to use it at every station - maybe the machines are not ready and the station staff expect you to use paper tickets etc ... :x

This sounds confusing. Somehow it gives me the impression that if I have a stored-value ticket I might not be able to use it at every station
No, you can use it at every station because they have portable ticket readers. Even though you mentioned you're only going to be here for a few days, a stored card can still be worth the effort simply because it means you can avoid queues buying tickets whenever you use the subway.

One thing to keep in mind though is that you do have to leave a deposit when you get the card issued. I don't know how easy it is (or if it's even possible) to get this back once you leave.

you can avoid queues buying tickets whenever you use the subway.
You could also just buy a bunch of tickets the first time. Except for line 13, they were not limited to the date of purchase, and I don't think that changed.

I like the stored value card (IC card) a lot. It can also be used on buses, and it is only RMB 0.4 per ride if you pay by an IC card. If you pay in cash it is RMB 1 per ride. It is so unfair ...

Beijing Line 1 is incredibly crowded. :x

Beijing Line 1 is incredibly crowded.

I heard on the radio the other day that daily volume on Line 1 has increased by 15% since the opening of Line 5 (and reduction of fares).

To deal with this, they have shortened the time between trains and will also be upgrading all trains to the type that aren't divided into sections (like on Line 13 and the Batong line) which will allow each train to carry more people and also help to distribute the crowd along the entire length of the train.

Have the subways here ever been affected by power failures? If so, can you imagine what it'd be like to be caught in a power failure during rush hour? :help

I was wondering what people thought about the behavior of people on the Subways in China.

Although there is a bit of pushing in the crowded Shanghai subways, and at time people don't wait for people to get off before trying to get on. But it doesn't seem that bad compared to some pushing to get on buses, and there doesn't seem to be groping of women that peopel have told me happens in the crowded Japanese train system.

In addition there are some cartoons and other helpful messages, "stay behind the yellow line until the train has stopped etc.." Coming home yesterday in Nanjing I heard a funny one, some like "If you have missed the train, do not run after the train and bang on the side. And other train will be along soon " It made me smile.

I saw a mother rush out of a subway and hold her toddler over a subway trash can. I think this is progress as 2 weeks before at a chinese own western restaurant saw a dog take a dump on the floor. (It was surprising.) .

Most of the time though people have MP3 players and their eyes are in a daze. (But perhaps this is me and my perception that everyone in Shanghai looks tired on the subway.)

What is proper etiquette for Chinese subway travel?

have fun,

SimoN:)

Most of the time on the Beijing subway I end up just taking the stairs and it works out being faster.
Healthier too. I like how in Hong Kong they have signs everywhere asking people to take the stairs, even pointing out how many steps you'll be taking!

It seems that the opening of line 5 and lowering of the fares has really helped to take some cars off the roads. I've noticed this week that traffic is lighter and my morning commute time has dropped significantly. Whereas before it used to take me 35-40 minutes to drive to work, it now only takes 25 minutes.

I think this will have a snowball effect, as buses will be able to get to their destinations faster and encourage even more people to take the bus.

And before you guys slam me for being enviro-unfriendly, I'm planning to move somewhere closer to work soon and walk/bike instead of drive.

• 3 weeks later...

The two railway companies in HK will be merged into one on 2.12.2007. Basically it is the Mass Transit Railway (MTR, the subway) taking over the 100-year old Kowloon Canton Railway (KCR). There will be a total of 11 lines, including the light rail in West New Territories and the Airport Express. Fares will be reduced because of, theoratically, synergy ......

Those who own stocks of the MTR should be happy about this development. The MTR is also the manager / builder of some Shanghai / Beijing subway lines IIRC.

New HK railway map

mtrroutemapia4.jpg

News report with video -> http://www.hkatvnews.com/v3/share_out/_content/2007/11/15/atvnews_111197.html

Company video -> http://events12.broadcastone.net/0066/20060403/02/webcast.asp

cdn_in_bj,

I take the bus in Beijing now, or a taxi if it's late. I am supposed to be getting my motorcycle soon-ish. But I'm like you and I want to be within walking/biking distance of work. So I'm looking for another apartment now close to work.

I'm not sure what I'll do with my motorcycle. Maybe just save it for weekend rides. Not sure yet.

Martin