Chinese-Forums

To ding, and similar Chinglish

skylee

My boss came to my desk today and asked for a document. He asked me to "ding" it to him, meaning to email it to him. I was quite amused as, although we say this in Cantonese every day, I had not heard any westerner use it (in English) before. Probably he used it trying to 1) show us that he knows Cantonese; and/or 2) be friendly to low-level employees; and/or 3) give us a good laugh as it was Friday afternoon (this seems unlikely, and I didn't laugh).

I am not sure if other people use it in English, or even use it in Chinese/Cantonese outside Hong Kong. And I wonder if other English speakers like to use Chinese words/slangs this way when they speak in English.

Views?

BTW, over here "叮" means to email because of the notification signalling receipt of emails. "叮" also means to cook/reheat food using microwave (叮熱/叮熟).

Probably he used it trying to 1) show us that he knows Cantonese; and/or 2) be friendly to low-level employees

I reckon probably a combination of 1 and 2: show that he knows Cantonese to low-level employees

This is something I do all the time when speaking English with laowai friends in China. We talk about things being and not being "fangbian", we describe things as "mafan", etc. It just adds a playful tone to the conversation. It's not something I would do in the US, but when we're in China we share some extra cultural background that can be used for fun.

I'm working in London at the moment and it's quite common to hear people talk about "pinging" an email across.

In IT circles, "ping" has a well-established meaning, though, and it comes from "ping-pong". You send a "ping" when you want to check whether something or somebody (another computer, a person in a chatroom, etc.) is currently available, and if you get a "pong" back, that means that they got your message and are available.

One of the oldest (and still most commonly used) Unix utilities is called "ping" :)

I haven't heard it used with emails yet, but I'd assume that it's a short email asking for a short (and prompt) answer.