Chinese-Forums

Teaching pinyin to native speaker, looking for phonetic chart

acremoteisrad

I am trying to teach my mom how to do basic pinyin, without the tones. We are using the Sogou Cloud bookmarklet to input pinyin anyway, and it doesn't seem to have tone input, so its easier overall for her to just select the right choice from the list. There is a finite number of standard sounds in Mandarin I think, so does anyone know of a chart or graph that has all the most common sounds written in pinyin with a common character (preferably traditional) next to it for reference?

That chart looks very nice.

Is there a rationale for choosing the representative characters? Some of them have several very common readings, and it might be less confusing to use a less ambiguous character. The example I noticed was 重, which can be read as zhong4 or chong2, and perhaps using 中 (zhong1 or zhong4) would be less ambiguous?

No not really. I made this map originally for myself and I started to use it for mnemonics. This is more of an experiment, but so far it works out the way I thought it would. I recently finished RTH1 and I'm adding pronunciation and words now. The mnemonics for pronunciation work the same way as in Matthews, but instead of coming up with some similar sounding English words I prefer using Chinese characters I already know (or not). So I looked up every sound in a dictionary and tried to find a character which is:

1. Good for creating mnemonics

2. I already know the character

3. A sound component or some other reason

So for zhong I know both characters, but I think "heavy" is better for creating mnemonics than "middle", that's why I chose "heavy". The character itself is not that important, I usually only use the keyword on the right side...

So it was not created in the characters->reading way you described, but in a reading -> one character/meaning way...