Chinese-Forums

how to translate the confucian concept 禮

sleepyfire

• New Members

Hello to everyone!

I'm translating for my university a lecture by Prof. David Shambaugh, from English to Italian. In the transcription I got, he says: "the four confucian concepts: 和, 德, 仁, 禮". While I have no problem whatsoever translating the first three, the last one, 禮, gives me some problem, because the American academic translated it as "education". Now, almost holding an MA in Oriental Studies I know pretty well what 禮 actually means, at least according to Western scholars, but I would like to stick to his interpretation, even though I believe that "education" is maybe a mistake in the transcription.

Needing short, one-word description, I was thinking of "morality", even though I know it's kinda vague.

Any idea?

Thank you very much.

"etiquette" seems good. Unfortunately, at least to me, etiquette seems to have connotations for "special" situations, e.g. dinner parties, while to me 禮 applies to all of ones behavior. But I can't think of a better single word.

"education" isn't as bad, IMHO, as you seem to think. By the old Confucian notions, proper 禮 came from a proper education.

I've seen it translated as propriety, which I think is pretty close:

noun, plural -ties.

1. conformity to established standards of good or proper behavior or manners.

2. appropriateness to the purpose or circumstances; suitability.

3. rightness or justness.

4. the proprieties, the conventional standards of proper behavior; manners: to observe the proprieties.

"etiquette" seems good. Unfortunately, at least to me, etiquette seems to have connotations for "special" situations, e.g. dinner parties, while to me 禮 applies to all of ones behavior. But I can't think of a better single word.

"education" isn't as bad, IMHO, as you seem to think. By the old Confucian notions, proper 禮 came from a proper education.

I just know that Kong Zi had admires the etiquette system in Zhou Dynasty very much, which is also know as 周礼. There is a book called “周礼” which well describes the etiquette system and have been studied by Confucians from East Han Dynasty. By reading the book, you will see 礼 has been set according to all kinds of special situations. 周礼, the etiquette system, should be considered as the core in what Confucian’s 礼.

http://baike.baidu.com/view/90803.htm

I think“education” doesn’t work very well to describe the nature of “礼”, which is the “royal power”. “礼”, as the symbol of royal power, set as some kind of law, should not be offended or challenged. Do you think “education” describes this deep meaning well?

• 3 weeks later...
  • New Members

礼貌(manner, politeness)=> For example: Always remember to say thanks and excuse me

礼节(etiquette)=>knowing what to do in different situations

(For example: Sitting at the right place in some ceremonies/ Speaking properly)

I am a native speaker. In my opinion, 礼 means acting/speaking properly and modestly in order to make people feel comfortable and respected.

(When I was in elementary school, the first English word our teacher introduce us with "礼" is politeness.)