Chinese-Forums

Use Beijing vocab to create a short story

歐博思

Back in the States, I have a few college friends that come from Beijing, and a Shanghai friend who really dislikes er hua. To kill two birds with one stone I wish to come up with an amusing short "tale" using funny Beijing mandarin. My rough draft so far:

今儿个————本人————?跟哥们儿到酒吧去玩儿,咱俩(儿?)我们一块儿喝酒、聊天儿。那儿的里边儿,一下儿有帮小伙儿进来。

“请问一下儿!怎么这么(zeme)多?!你知不知道(你知不ri道?)没空儿!”

“没事儿,今儿个天儿很美,我们去外边儿play!"

ish.

Edit::: Added English:

Today, me and a bud went down to the bar for some fun; together chit-chat, drink some rum. But all a sudden a band of young chaps came in.

"Excuse me! Why so many? Don't you know we have no space!"

"No problem, beautiful weather today, we'll go outside and play!"

/edit

Trying really hard to load the story with Beijing'isms but afraid I don't know that many! Are there any Chinese dialect dictionaries out there on the web? Or for that matter a dictionary the can look-up written type forms from spoken i.e. 有——》拥有,etc

帮一下儿! :blink:

欧博思

Edit: Included David's 咱俩 = ungrammatical in my usage; removed 本人. Want a BJ'ism. 自个儿 like Imron brought up?

I'm not a native speaker, however I don't think you should use 本人. In my mind this is a little bit formal, which is inconsistent with the tone of the article. In any case, for more Beijingness, consider 自个儿 instead.

Also consider 泡吧去 instead of 到酒吧去 (not strictly Beijingish, but definitely a more colloquial way of saying it), and 侃大山 instead of 聊天儿。

Regarding, 咱俩, you can't use it like this. It basically means 'me and you'. So if you say "I went to the bar with my mate, and you and me had a drink and a chat", it doesn't really make sense. Likewise with 咱们, it always includes the listener and therefore cannot just be used as a direct substitute for 我们。

Anyway, that's just a few quick points. I'll leave it to the native speakers to provide something more authentic.

I'm not a Beijing native but our babysitter is from Beijing and lived there pretty much all her life, except for a stint in the country as part of the 插队 program. I hear the occasional 啥 and 咋 in her speech but I may be extra-sensitive to that as I'm of "southerner" descent. She's in her fifties so it might also be a generational thing.

Yes, there's a 北京话 dictionary out there or two that you should be able to find at university libraries with big Chinese collections. But, in the meantime, consider:

Use 人家 to refer to yourself or 俺 to refer to yourself or yourself with others (but not the person to whom your speaking).

Use 甭for 不用or不要

Use 加塞儿 for cut in line. (My Chinese-speaking son recently critized this as being "too Beijing" and "too old-fashioned," and told me 插对is now the standard term.

今儿个天儿sounds off in combination, but can be used separately.

欧儿了 for "okay", usually in sense of "that's enough", is a wonderfully horrible neologism used in BJ, but probably also elsewhere. The annoyance is multiplied when you say it multiple times, 欧儿了,欧儿了!

Annoy at will!

泡妞儿 for...um...go shag girls (?).