Chinese-Forums

远方 or 远房?

HedgePig

I came across this sample sentence on Nciku

父母去世后,他的一个远方亲戚收留了他 which was translated as

After his parents died, a distant relative took him in.

Is this English translation correct? It seems to me that 远方 means distance in terms of physical distance rather than that the family relationship is is distant? Wouldn't 远房 be more appropriate here? Or can 远方 also be used figuratively?)

If it 远方 means far away in terms of physical location, I would tranlate the sentence as "After his parents died, a relative from faraway took him in."

Any enlightenment would be appreciated!

I would think that 遠房 is more likely/appropriate. 遠方 does not seem right when the sentence is written this way. But it really depends on what the sentence tries to express. The difference is as what you've said.

"远房" is more appropriate,especially when we say a relative who lives far away, we usually call that "远房亲戚".

Are you sure of it? If it is a distant relaitve who lives far away, it should be 住在遠方的遠房親戚。 I think a distant relative, as HedgePig has indicated, stresses the relationship, not a physical location. 遠房親戚 could live next door.

• Like 1

• New Members

Yes,you are right.Sorry for my bad explaination.

"远方亲戚" usually means distant relatives ,emphasize the space distance,the relative could be "远房亲戚"(relatives that are not so close) or any other "亲戚".

"远房" usually means relatives that are not so close in blood lineage,such as your father's uncle's wife's brother,you can call him "远房亲戚",who may also live faraway.

"远方亲戚" only indicate that the relative lives faraway,but can not tell if he/she is your "远房亲戚".

• New Members

I am a native speaker. 远方亲戚 and 远房亲戚 are both correct, yet, their meanings are different.

To sum up,

远方亲戚 means: A relative who "lives" far away, which can be close or far in blood lineage

远房亲戚 means: A relative who is far in blood linage (such as your uncle's uncle's uncle), but he may live in your next door.

In this sentence, these 2 are both correct in grammar. Although i think 远房亲戚 is more reasonable.