Chinese-Forums

What does 临阵磨枪不快也光 mean?

anonymoose

I understand the literal meaning of this phrase, but what is the moral behind it?

According to this page, the meaning is similar to 临时抱佛脚.

As far as I understand, 临阵磨枪不快也光 has a kind of positive meaning, encouraging people to make an effort, better late than never. In other words, it is an advisable thing to do.

On the other hand, 临时抱佛脚 seems to be negative, leaving things to the last minute, almost implying a lack of responsibility, and is not an advisable kind of behaviour.

These are just my observations based on the way I've seen these phrases used, but in this case, I would say that these two phrases have an opposite kind of emphasis.

I would appreciate any comments from those in the know.

You have explained it well enough that I have nothing much to add. I think if a task is expected but the person who is responsible for it fails to plan and prepare for it until the last minute then I'd use 临时抱佛脚; But if it is unexpected and the person is only left with a very short period before the deadline to get themselves ready, then you can comfort them, and say 临阵磨枪不快也光嘛.

@ anonymoose

临阵磨枪不快也光can not be considered as a advisable thing to do. It's kind like a lame excuse for one to demonstrate his effort on something. In fact 临阵磨枪 makes no difference in doing things without preparation. The only conclusion can be considered as 临阵磨枪不快也光 is slightly better than 临时抱佛脚。 But neither one is positive.

• Like 2

I would use it as a phrase for comforting others or myself in certain situations. If you are not sharpening your spear on regular basis, it will get blunt. Trying to sharpen it up at the last moment before the battle won't get you a sharp spear, but it will be shiny at least, which is better than nothing I guess (might even scare some of the enemy soldiers off :rolleyes: ). If you've been neglecting your studies for some time and there is an exam coming tomorrow, it's impossible to cram it all into your head in one evening. But if you at least flip through those books, then maybe one or two pieces of information might stick, which is better than doing nothing and might just make that difference between an F an a D- :rolleyes: D minus is nothing to be proud of, but still, better than F...

Just my two maos...

The only conclusion can be considered as 临阵磨枪不快也光 is slightly better than 临时抱佛脚。 But neither one is positive.

I see what you're saying, but it just seems strange to me that in the phrase 不快也光, it is pointing out something good (光) even though the overall situation is bad, something like "every cloud has a silver lining".

I thought it was polishing a gun, not sharpening a spear. Is that open to interpretation, or is it definitely sharpening a spear?

qiāng

1)[名] 旧时兵器,长柄,顶端有金属尖头。

2)[名] 口径在20毫米以下能发射子弹的武器。

3)……

(现代汉语规范词典)

So, 枪 was originally a spear or a spear-like weapon and acquired a new meaning after the invention of guns. Even today, you might encounter the word 标枪, which is a javelin (used in sports, the “javelin throw” discipline is called 掷标枪).

Yeah, I wasn't sure when it came from exactly. I knew 槍 originally meant spear, actually. I've just come across it meaning "gun" so much in Chinese, it's what I think of first. That and 光 seemed to me to be the whole point of the activity, not something that would just happen anyway from doing it.