Chinese-Forums

Mobile hardware needed to run Pleco or Anki

Friday

I'd like to buy some kind of mobile phone or device that can allow me to study some SRS software on the go. However, I'd like to save money, and would rather buy a used device rather than shiny new and expensive one. I don't really know anything about cellphone hardware and operating systems. How can I know if the device is compatible with some SRS product? Is it possible to use the device without buying a cellphone plan and synching the list with my computer via cable?

To know if a device if compatible with an SRS product, you'll need to check out the information provided by the developer of the SRS product. Most will list what platforms they run on.

If you don't want a cellphone plan, an iPod touch and Pleco are probably going to be your best bet.

The least expensive for Pleco would most likely be a 山寨 (fake) phone running windows mobile 6.5. Should only cost a few hundred kuai (brand new) but may not last all that long. Plus the ring tones on some of those 山寨 phones are incredibly loud and annoying :angry:

Be wary of second hand name brand phones as they sometimes swap out the good quality internal parts for cheaper crap.

Well be careful with second hand electronics, you'll never know what happened with it.

Anki runs on android and right now the androidphones are quite cheap. (HTC wildfire, Sony Ericsson x10 mini pro, etc.)

And also mentioned before, the Ipod touch, is also a good one, but the Anki app costs about $25.

A good version of Pleco (i.e. paying for all the useful addons), will also set you back around USD$100, so any way you dice it, it's not going to come off cheap, but I think it's definitely worth it. These sort of things are an investment and personally I think it's worth paying a bit more to get something of high quality that will last for years. My first-gen iPhone is still going strong three-years on, and Pleco is doing even better because so far Pleco's policy has been to provide essentially free upgrades across versions and platforms (I originally had Pleco 1 running on a Palm, now it's version 2.x running on the iPhone).

So, there's definitely an upfront expense, but at the same time, you get good value for it.

• 2 weeks later...