Chinese-Forums

Wine Terminology?

brianb

• New Members

Hello all, my name is Brian and I'm going to be going to China soon as a translator for a wine company. Before I go I need to learn wine terminology in Chinese and I've been having a hard time finding stuff on my own. Does anyone know of a good resource or have a good wordlist /anki file I could use? I appreciate the help. I will keep looking as well and post any findings I have here.

-百瑞安

I don't know, but I am curious about your job.

Are you working for a western company trying to break into the Chinese market? Or something else?

I'm curious because China is not really a wine drinking country. ["wine" as in fermented grape-based wine.] I've heard some bottles are sold, but often more as a foreign status symbol thing. So it seems you'd first need to generate demand for it first, rather then trying to say why your company's wine is better.

Grapewallofchina.com might have something useful.

Not sure what size market there is, but every supermarket and convenience store seems to stock the stuff now, and presumably it's selling or it wouldn't get shelf space.

Last year I visited a fine modern winery in Shandong, close to Yantai, pretty sure it was part of the Changyu group. They called the area "The Napa Valley of China" and it was dotted with other wineries as well.

Cannot help the OP on terminology beyond red and white, which he surely already knows.