Chinese-Forums

Seeking advice on HSK Flashcard Lesson subdivision

hdpetersson

• New Members

I'm developing an iPhone/iPad app with a user-friendly interface that allows for quick and easy self-assessment of new vocabulary. The app will allow the user to review and self-asses his or her recognition and pronunciation of displayed hanzi and pinyin.

In the app, there will be the 6 HSK levels available (a large amount for free and more advanced levels through in-app purchase).

I want to have the HSK Levels divided into Lessons and this is where I would like to ask for your suggestions.

For example, HSK Level 4 has 600 vocabularies. I would assume that the user would not want to have all of these dumped on him/her to study as it would be too massive.

Instead, this Level should be divided into manageable Lesson - much like a textbook. This would allow the user to easier complete on Lesson and move to the next. Also, if there are some words that he/she will want to re-enforce later, then these can be marked as such in that Lesson and re-visited after some time.

So what is a good Lesson size?

I suspect that Beginner Levels should have smaller Lesson sizes as it takes time to digest a new language. Perhaps as small as 20 new words in each?

Intermediate and Advanced Levels could have more as the user encounter already familiar charachters in words that form a new meaning. This changes the focus from recognizing the character (and it's pronunciation) to knowing the meaning of it paired up with another character. For example 方法. 方 has it's meaning and 法 has another and put together they will mean something new. The user will know each of the characters from earlier and will just need to remember that 方法 means 'method'.

Most intermediate textbooks have a range of 40-100 new words per Lesson (or Chapter) but I have seen other content provider have a smaller set of new words for the user to tackle.

I'm leaning towards 40-60 words per intermediate and advanced Lessons which will hopefully allow the user have a good sized challenge in learning new words while also being able to see the light at the end of the tunnel and complete that Lesson.

What are your experiences and suggestions?

Secondly, if the Levels are divided into Lessons (of for example 50 words), how would you suggest this division to happen? Just by random? Or alphabetized? Any other suggestions?

Any suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated.

David