Chinese-Forums

Current Meaning of 情人

SuperGoose

I was slowly mowing through my Weibo feed when I came across a repost that was a list of things some individual never wanted to do. One point was "和情人结婚" which I took to mean "getting married with a lover". This confused me because I thought getting married to the person you love should be the ideal. My friend then corrected me and told me that in this case 情人 carries a negative meaning, like a lover of someone else, so for this case, getting married with someone in another marriage or relationship. No dictionary that I have carries this definition, although some cursory googling lead me to the possible definition that my friend mentioned.

Does anyone have a dictionary that contains this alternate, negative definition? Who else has had experience with this word?

this is a good question about cultural differences/meanings of chinese words. Different countries where Mandarin is commonly spoken/different regions of China have 'localised' or attributed other meanings to words other than their original meaning, some of it positive others negative. So it's hard to say what is right.

it all depends on the situation and context, relationship of the speakers..sometimes people refer to their spouses as 'ai ren' literally translated as 'lover' but it does not carry a negative meaning. Yet the same word can be used to describe a lover (male or female) outside of marriage which is bad. And yes there are many different words and phrases to describe the likes of 情人, both good and bad.

to be more neutral, I'd say "he wo de nan peng you jie hun/he wo de nu peng you jie hun"

I was slowly mowing through my Weibo feed when I came across a repost that was a list of things some individual never wanted to do. One point was "和情人结婚" which I took to mean "getting married with a lover". This confused me because I thought getting married to the person you love should be the ideal.

I'm guessing that individual is talking about marrying his/her lover after getting divorced. Doing that, according to some advice, might have disastrous results. It's counterintuitive advice that goes against the ideal you speak of.

I don't think your understanding is wrong; the advice just lacks context. Alternatively, the person could really be giving strange, counterintuitive advice to not marry anyone you love.