Chinese-Forums

Help with sentence "...优惠点儿下?"

jkhsu

I ran across this sentence in a Chinese Class 101 podcast and can't figure the meaning:

首付还可以优惠点儿下?

The context is: Someone is interested in buying a house and wants to know how they can pay.

The definition they gave for that sentence was "Is this down payment preferable?" which I can't figure out from the sentence.

Here are my thoughts:

首付 = down payment?

I am not understanding "优惠点儿下". Does it mean can the down payment be lowered?

Thanks for the help.

I haven't seen 优惠 used like that -- which proves nothing, I know -- but looking at jukuu examples shows many examples of 优惠 being used in a financial sense. It seems to be used for loan terms or for prices.

So I'm guessing that "首付还可以优惠点儿不" means something along the line of "can you give me more preferable/favorable terms on the down payment?".

So I'm guessing that "首付还可以优惠点儿不" means something along the line of "can you give me more preferable/favorable terms on the down payment?".

Thanks. Yeah, your definition makes more sense. I just noticed that in another sentence in the lesson notes where they defined the term "优惠点儿" as "giving a discount".