Chinese-Forums

持续 vs. 继续 vs. 延续

DrWatson

After learning about the differences in 具有 and 有, I am now trying to better understand the differences between the following:

延续

(动) 持续下去

(verb) go on

继续

(动) 延续下去;不间断地进行

(verb) continue

持续

(动) 保持并延续不断

(verb) go on

(source is nciku)

The English definitions don't really help much, and even the Chinese definitions seem to use one of the other words to describe the meaning. Are these interchangeable in writing, or does each have a slightly different meaning?

I agree with qodobop. In a sentence like "the party went on for 5 days" you can also say "the party lasted for 5 days", so this is the sort of situation where you would use 持续. And in cases like "after my holidays I will continue learning Chinese", where there is no sense of duration, you have to use 继续.

As for 延续, I think it has a nuance of "prolonging" or "extending", making something last more than was originally expected.

Altair's explanation between '持续' and ‘继续’ is perfect.

I just want to add up my understanding on '延续', very similar as ‘继续’, means keep on doing sth to finish it from interruption or another task

you know what, I would like to make this thread more complex, do you guys know about other 2 words

'陆续' - adv, means 'one by one', 'one after another'; sample - 同学们陆续回来了

‘连续’ - I think this word are focus on describing continuous state or repeat action, means one thing or process is always keeping same status or same cycle. sample - Mike 在工作中连续出现错误