Chinese-Forums

长不了记性 and 起来吧你

Tulee

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with these two colloquial terms. The first I have never seen in my life. The second, ( 起来吧你)I think meant something like "get out of the way".

Just so you know, i Am sure it ( 起来吧你) has nothing to do with "getting up" because the context it was used in was a situation where one person was yelling at another.

I'm guessing 长不了记性 means "can't form memories" (i.e. can't learn a lesson), and that 长 is read zhang3 here.

不吃亏长不了记性,经验都是血泪换来的 = "If you don't lose you don't learn, experience is gained only through blood and tears"

狗真的是长不了记性吗? = "Can dogs really not be taught things?"

投资者的通病--永远都长不了记性 = "The eternal problem with investors - they never learn."

• 4 weeks later...
  • New Members

长不了记性 literally means 'never build the memory (for...)', it is used to complain that sb. always forgets what he/she should take into memory or to scold sb. for he/she never learn his/her lesson form former tragic experiences.Examples:

告诉你不能那样写,(你还是那样走),你怎么就是长不了记性/不长记性呢?

上回你打小报告,结果吃了不少苦头,这次又这么瞎搞。唉,你就是长不了记性!

起来吧你 is an imperative sentence, its original word order is 你起来吧. In very colloquial Chinese, words' ondianary position are often changed. In this case you say the important words of a sentence first a that contain the focus of your meaning. Then, with realizing you've neglected some ingredients of this sentence, you supplement the omitted parts afterwards. The shifted elements of the sentence could be the subjects, attributive or adverbial modifiers.

As to the specific deep-seated meaning of sentence 起来吧你 can be very varied and it is subject to the particular context.

Sometimes more citated original words will help in answering the question.