Chinese-Forums

Whats the difference between 定期and 有规律?

Kongming21

I mean when used as an adverb. Is there any difference? Both mean "regularly" dont they?

I already googled both words, but cant really recognize any difference in their usage, probably only that 定期is used for more formal things that really have a fixed date like 定期交税 and 有规律地is rather used for personal activities that one does like 有规律地吃饭, but I am not sure whether this really is the case.

So would be great if someone could clear this up.

I think 定期 emphasises time, or in other words, means at regular time intervals. It is often used in situations where there is a fixed shedule for something, and thus often applies to formal situations as you pointed out.

有规律 simply means regularly, or according to a fixed pattern. In practice, this may also mean at regular time intervals, but here it is the regularity rather than the periodicity that is emphasised.

Also, I think 定期 usually applies to something that is arranged in advance, and often on a timescale of days or weeks. 有规律 on the other hand could apply to (an ongoing) natural phenomenon, and could be on a timescale of anything from seconds to centuries.