Chinese-Forums

被人黑了

Don_Horhe

A few days ago I was exchanging messages with one of my teachers from Wuhan, who was supposed to go to Canada to teach for a year. When I asked her how things are going with that,she said 中国的事情,你懂得,反正我通过了考试,但是被人黑了. What exactly does the last part mean? I've never come across this expression before.

Okay, I'm interested to know what others think about this, I'm going to guess your teacher means, she was tricked/undermined/cheated. 黑 is a colloquial/ internet slang verb meaning "to hack" that comes from the Chinese loan word 黑客 hacker. So usually your computer or email would 被人黑了, but I'm guessing if a person 被黑了, it means they were cheated.

Thoughts?

As they explained above, it means you are cheated/undermined/tricked in an immoral / illegal way.

What your teacher meant is that he should have the chance to go to Canada, but it was ruined by someone else's foul play.

I'm not sure if this usage comes from 'hack'. I think is comes from 黑's meaning of 'bad', 'dirty', 'unfair'.

A similar example: 他黑了我一百元。 He cheated me out of 100 yuan.

• Like 2