Chinese-Forums

Dictionary with ethymology designed for foreigners

Friday

Wait, did you add a an extra zero somewhere? I mean, if you can read 5 000 characters, you should have no problem whatsoever reading Chinese-Chinese dictionaries. Also, the step from 500 to 5 000 is quite big. I can promise you there are no illustrated dictionaries with 20 000 characters, it would take a small fleet of lorries to move it around. :)

I think OP is not asking for a picture dictionary, but for a ethymology dictionary where the evolution/origins of the characters is shown.

Personally I'm not that interested in the real origin. A decent dictionary that explains the meaning of characters based on the radicals would be very welcome though.That might be a huge aid in guessing the meaning of unknown characters and make it easier to remember characters.