Chinese-Forums

Words to define “convalescence”

Mark Yong

Can anyone provide specific definitions for the following characters that basically refer to convalescence: , , and ?

As far as I can break them down, the differences are:

, - Injuries/wounds healed

, - Illness/disease cured

And if there are any other characters that fit the above definitions, please feel free to put them forth.

I am aware that is also commonly used, but that carries the general definition of "to administer", which is less specific in meaning compared to the above. Also, , and refer to the act of a 3rd party administering the act of healing/curing on the injured/ill party, whereas what I am referring to is the state of the 1st person him/herself.

Thanks.

rezaf wrote:

There is also 病已and病閒...

Yup, and 康復, too. :)

Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific in my question: Are there any more specific differences - no matter how subtle - between the four (4) characters , , and , other than the former two being ‘heal’ and the latter two being ‘cure’ (as far as I can gather, corrections welcome)?