Chinese-Forums

Recent internet/微薄 slang terms (?)

马盖云

Hello, All!

I've been reading posts on Sina Weibo lately for fun and practice. I have come across some slang or purpously misspelled words that have tripped me up at first, but now recognize. For example:

童鞋们 for 同学们

神马 for 什么

滴 I presume for 点

Anyone have any others they can share to save me from pulling my hair out?

Any suggestions of who to follow? Looking for just regular folks, not highly commercial or political stuff.

I am following somebody called 来福岛冷笑话 which posts silly pictures, jokes, stuff like that...

thanks,

So,中国人 can make up their own misspellings, but when the 外国人 does it, it's wrong?

A wrong word is a wrong word, no matter who wrote it.

A lot of people don’t care about how their mother tongue should be used. They miswrite Chinese words on purpose for fun or just try to be different. That’s all.

A lot of people don’t care about how their mother tongue should be used. They miswrite Chinese words on purpose for fun or just try to be different. That’s all.

Oh, we abuse the hell out of English as well! It makes me kind of crazy... have you guys seen the young American girl Jessica who goes by OMG美语? She teaches English slang on youku and youtube to Chinese teens? http://u.youku.com/u...U4NTU2ODQ4.html While she makes her videos cheaply with a webcam, she is sponsored by VOA, so I theorize it is some kind of cold war-style propoganda campaign to corrupt your youngster's minds! :lol:

In fact 滴 should be 地/的

Yes, I think so, thanks maxdmind. I did not have any examples handy.

Any other ones?

Oh, we abuse the hell out of English as well! It makes me kind of crazy... have you guys seen the young American girl Jessica who goes by OMG美语? She teaches English slang on youku and youtube to Chinese teens?http://u.youku.com/u...U4NTU2ODQ4.html

This girl is pretty and has really good pronunciation. The stuff she taught in the video you posted wasn't really that slang though.

One of my friends on QQ has been using '88' or sometimes just '8' for 拜拜, don't know if this is common or not

I think it is very common to a point that it could be considered as a semi-standard way to bid farewell on internet forums or online chatting programs.

• 1 month later...

skylee, here is the first and last time I'm able to help you on something Chinese! :clap

卖萌 (mài méng)

Not sure of the origins of this one (from manga reportedly), but it means to act cute, to try hard to win over the affection of others through cute actions.

from shanghaiist: http://shanghaiist.c...ar_slangmem.php

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"右边+1"or a simple looking-right emoticon "→_→" for agreeing with someone's comment when you retweet/转发 from their weibo.(Because their comments will be displayed on the right side of yours):)