How do you say "house down the road"?

feihong

Which house do you mean?

you house1  house2  house3     house6

-------------------------------------------/ 1.5 km /------------

roadA                   roadA

------------------------------------------/ 1.5 km /-------------

house4     house 5

To me, "house down the road" means any house that's isn't right next to where I am, but is within a walking or biking distance. And of course it must be on the same road.

This phrase doesn't have a very precise meaning. That's why I think the previous two candidates were too specific.

I think that roughly translates to "several houses away" or "several houses down". Whereas "house down the road" doesn't imply that there are any houses in between.

@xiaocai

Here's an example sentence:

I received a letter in the mail yesterday, but noticed that it was actually intended for a house down the road.

And of course it must be on the same road.

Not sure if you mean that's just a condition of a specific envisaged context, Feihong (in which case, fair enough), or if you mean generally (in which case it might not always be true - for example, only today someone told me there's a bank [just] down the road, by which they meant nearby on the main road, rather than on the very same residential street that I'm living on).

• 3 months later...

I find difficult to give a perfect and simple translation for “house down the road”, probably because a community often consists of several houses along a road or several roads in US, but in China most people live in apartments!

If you are pointing directions for a visitor, i would say 这条街上,往前走X分钟就到

• 1 month later...

feihong

I received a letter in the mail yesterday, but noticed that it was actually intended for a house down the road.

I would say 昨天信箱里收到封信,但一看寄错了,是附近人家的。

L-F-J

顺着这条街往前走的房子。

It sounds a bit weird though it conveys the meaning correctly.

As to "house down the road", it has to be translated according to the context. For example, if you are showing sb. the way, then you can say “沿着这条路走就能找到" ”就在这条路上,再往前走一段“. To translate it into a noun form would sound unnatural.