Chinese-Forums

"Front lever" in Chinese (and a list of gymnastics terms)

Olle Linge

Okay, I feel a bit silly posting about this, but I've really tried to find the answer on my own and I can't. I'm practising gymnastics and I would like to know how to translate "front lever". I found a great list of gymnastics terms here (downloadable PDF), but it lacks the word I'm after. It's one of these I'm looking for:

FrontLever(1962).JPG

The best I can find is 俯平衡, sometimes specifying 高低杠 or similar. However, this can't be right, or at least it can't be the most common term, because an image search on Google shows almost no pictures of what I'm trying to describe. I realise that gymnastics discussions in Chinese on the web might be less common than in English, but "front lever" has almost one million hits on Google. There has to be a better/more commonly used/more accurate term. Does anybody know? Do you perhaps have a friend who knows?

Well, I own an English-Chinese dictionary of sports words (since that is what I study), and it does indeed translate the "front lever" as: "俯平衡(高低杠)".

However, there is also "front half lever" and "front vertical lever" and a whole bunch of other "lever" words translated instead with "支撑" instead of "平衡" or “杠" at the end. So maybe searching on that would be more useful? Let me know if you need any other terms...

Thanks! My guess is that 支持 refers to positions where the gymnast supports him/herself on the floor (or something else, in any case not hanging). . There are lots of these in English, too. However,t his is just a guess and I'm not sure. I will continue my quest using your suggestions, though. If I find something, I'll be sure to post here. :) Thanks again for your help!