Chinese-Forums

Practical Audio-Visual Chinese word lists updated

Olle Linge

I just want to say that I have made a major update to the Practical Audio-Visual Chinese word lists I share in Anki. These lists contain all the words from all the books, but not all example sentences for the first books.

I haven't changed much for the earlier books, but I have added more examples and more information here and there (especially for single characters). I have also corrected some erroneous translations and readings.

However, the decks are far from perfect, so if you find anything weird, let me know and I'll fix it.

Also, if anyone else wants these lists (I mean someone who isn't using Anki), I could make them available in CSV or something. Is there a demand for something like this?

Big fan of your blog, Hacking Chinese. And I like the Anki decks that combine the word with its sound, because I remember tones much better if I've heard the word's tone than to just see the tone marks... then again I guess I should read those aloud so I remember the word and tone.

In any case, I remember in your blog, you said that one should not use Anki or Anki-like programs to LEARN the word, just to reinforce it. I am still reading through the beginner portion of your blog (very many entries, you sure are knowledgeable!), but how should I go about learning a word if I should not learn it through Anki?

Thanks!

This is a bit off-topic, so send me a private message if you want to discuss it further! I do what most other people do, I think. I learn the character parts (not only radicals), I create mnemonics and I combine them into characters. Then I combine the characters into words in the same way. It's actually quite simple, but it might be slow in the beginning because you have to learn many building blocks, but this will pay off handsomely later. I've written more about it here and here. Good luck!